The Number Resource Organization (NRO) Number Council (NC) was formed in 2004 through a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between ICANN and the NRO. The NRO NC advises the NRO Executive Council on proposed global number resource policies. Under the MoU, the NC performs the role of the Address Supporting Organization Address Council (ASO AC). The specific responsibilities of the NRO NC are outlined in the Memorandum of Understanding.
Each Regional Internet Registry (RIR) elects or appoints three representatives to the NRO NC. In the APNIC region, two members elected by the Internet community serve a two-year term and are eligible for re-election at the end of each term. The APNIC Executive Council appoints one member who serves a one-year term.
Find out more about the NRO NC election process
How is the NRO NC structured?
The NRO NC comprises 15 members, three from each of the five RIR regions. NC members do not represent any RIR nor do they act as representatives of any other body. They are appointed in their individual capacity and their membership cannot be substituted by any other individual or organization.
Duties of NRO NC members
The NRO NC is responsible for:
- Performing the role of the ICANN Address Supporting Organization (ASO) Address Council. This includes:
- Undertaking a role in global policy development.
- Providing recommendations to the Board of ICANN concerning the recognition of new RIRs
- Defining procedures for selection of individuals to serve on other ICANN bodies
- Advising the ICANN Board on number resource allocation policy in conjunction with the RIRs
Role responsibilities and time commitments of NRO NC members
The time commitments for members of the NRO NC (and by association, the ASO AC) can be quite considerable and include
- attending monthly meetings (held via video/teleconference) with the NRO NC which are generally held at 12:00pm (noon) UTC;
- attending additional special meetings which can be called for any purpose at any time;
- attending three conferences per year, being the first ICANN Meeting of the year and two APNIC conferences;
- participating in additional NRO/ASO committees;
- joining and actively participate in the APNIC Policy SIG mailing list and Open Policy Meetings; and
- meeting with the APNIC Executive Council and the Policy SIG Chairs immediately following the Policy SIG meeting.
In addition to the above, meetings of the NRO NC and related committees are usually accompanied by briefing and background documents which should be read in order for NRO NC members to be able to actively participate in discussions.
Planned meetings (usually via teleconference or face-to-face) include monthly NRO NC meetings, ICANN meetings, APNIC Conferences and participation in the Policy SIG.
Current NRO NC members
Please visit the NRO Number Council website for a list of members from all RIRs.
Terms and Conditions
- Positions on the NRO NC are voluntary.
- NC members do not receive any compensation for their services; however, they will be reimbursed for actual, necessary, and reasonable travel and subsequent expenses incurred in the performance of their duties as per the travel policy. APNIC may not be able to reimburse members all expenses associated with NRO duties
- All nominees for the elected positions are contacted via email to confirm their willingness to serve on the NRO NC. If a nominee is not contactable via email or does not respond, then their nomination will not be confirmed and they will be ineligible for election.
- Candidates appointed by the APNIC EC also confirm their willingness to serve on the NRO NC.
- If an APNIC elected or appointed member vacates his or her position on the NRO NC, a written notice must be given to the ASO Address Council, the NRO and APNIC Secretariat, and the ICANN Secretary.
NC members may resign at any time by giving written notice to the other NRO NC members. A vacancy is also deemed to occur in the case of the death or removal of any member. When a vacancy occurs, an interim appointment by the affected RIR fills the vacant position until the next scheduled NRO NC election.