The Number Resource Organization (NRO) Number Council (NC) was formed in 2004 through a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between ICANN and the NRO. The NRO NC advises the NRO Executive Council on proposed global number resource policies. Under the MoU, the NC performs the role of the Address Supporting Organization Address Council (ASO AC). The specific responsibilities of the NRO NC are outlined in the Memorandum of Understanding.Each Regional Internet Registry (RIR) elects or appoints three representatives to the NRO NC. In the APNIC region, two members elected by the Internet community serve a two-year term and are eligible for re-election at the end of each term. The APNIC Executive Council appoints one member who serves a one-year term.Find out more about the NRO NC election process
NRO Number Council (NC) Elections 2020The NRO NC elections will take place during APNIC 50. All members of the Internet community who meet the voting eligibility criteria may vote in this election.
Online voting opens for APNIC Members on Monday, 24 August 2020 and for eligible registered attendees on Thursday, 10 September 2020.
The final list of nominees will be published on the APNIC 50 website by Friday, 14 August 2020 at 17:30 (UTC+10).
How is the NRO NC structured?The NRO NC comprises 15 members, three from each of the five RIR regions. NC members do not represent any RIR nor do they act as representatives of any other body. They are appointed in their individual capacity and their membership cannot be substituted by any other individual or organization.
Duties of NRO NC membersThe NRO NC is responsible for:
- Performing the role of the ICANN Address Supporting Organization (ASO) Address Council. This includes:
- Undertaking a role in global policy development.
- Providing recommendations to the Board of ICANN concerning the recognition of new RIRs
- Defining procedures for selection of individuals to serve on other ICANN bodies
- Advising the ICANN Board on number resource allocation policy in conjunction with the RIRs
Meeting schedulePlanned meetings (usually via teleconference or face-to-face) include monthly NRO NC meetings, ICANN meetings, APNIC Conferences and participation in the Policy SIG.
Current NRO NC membersPlease visit the NRO Number Council website for a list of members from all RIRs.
Terms and Conditions
- Positions on the NRO NC are voluntary.
- NC members do not receive any compensation for their services; however, they will be reimbursed for actual, necessary, and reasonable travel and subsequent expenses incurred in the performance of their duties as per the travel policy. APNIC may not be able to reimburse members all expenses associated with NRO duties
- All nominees for the elected positions are contacted via email to confirm their willingness to serve on the NRO NC. If a nominee is not contactable via email or does not respond, then their nomination will not be confirmed and they will be ineligible for election.
- Candidates appointed by the APNIC EC also confirm their willingness to serve on the NRO NC.
- If an APNIC elected or appointed member vacates his or her position on the NRO NC, a written notice must be given to the ASO Address Council, the NRO and APNIC Secretariat, and the ICANN Secretary.